Meet the 2019 Junior Lord Mayor
Congratulations to Her Worship Sophie Peters, 12, for winning the Melbourne Day competition at a judging ceremony at Melbourne Town Hall on 21 August.
Sophie, from Montmorency South Primary School, edged out a strong field of finalists, chosen from a record number of entries.
"I would help young kids like myself have a voice of their own," she said.
"I think this young generation has many great ideas for the future.
"I love that in Melbourne all different cultures come together and share their food, customs and fashion."
She is pictured with Lord Mayor Sally Capp.
Thank you to everyone who entered.
Congratulations to the finalists:
- Scarlett Sadler, Our Lady Star of the Sea, Ocean Grove
- Sophie Peters, Montmorency South Primary School
- Rachel Arnold, Genazzano FCJ College, Kew
- Daniel Papadopoulos, Boroondara Park Primary School
- Zara Wilson, Mentone Girls' Secondary College
- Jacqui O'Donnell, Genazzano FCJ College, Kew
- Lord Mayor Sally Capp
- Channel Nine TV reporter Allan Raskell
- Radio 3AW presenter Denis Walter
- 13cabs head of client services Simon Purssey
- Melbourne Day chairman Campbell Walker
- Australia Day ambassador and Melbourne Day Committee member Claude Lombard
Now in its seventh year thanks to partner 13cabs, the competition — for students aged 10 to 13 years — aims to raise awareness about Melbourne, instil civic pride and highlight Melbourne's journey since being founded in 1835.
Be great and celebrate
Get your free cupcake!
10.30am, Melbourne Day
Friday, 30 August
- Raise the Melbourne flag with city councillors and the 2019 Junior Lord Mayor
- Celebrate Melbourne's 184th birthday
- Celebrate indigenous history and culture
- Free Ferguson Plarre cupcakes
- Free Melbourne Day showbags
- Meet our "first settlers" — and Gilbert, Melbourne's first cat
- Victoria Police Pipe band
- Jack Howard (Hunters & Collectors) with Wesley College Jazz Ensemble
- And more!
Toot for Melbourne Day
Honk if you see our chairman Campbell Walker's 4WD "Melbourne Day-mobile".
Love Melbourne like crazy?
Get Melbourne Day details straight to your inbox.